Transition from solo to solar



After my husband died  in 2013 I was left with an old 31 ft sailing boat in Greece. I didn’t want to give up sailing so I ventured out to sail alone. This I did for 7 summers in the Aegean sea. I had many positive, fantastic, dramatic and blissfully beautiful experiences doing this and it boosted my morale and self confidence. 

However In 2019 I embarked on a different voyage in my life with a new relationship. The pandemic then put a stop to any sailing plans for quite a while and my lovely little yacht was left ashore at a boatyard in Greece. 

My partner and I began discussing what to do next. We were both 75 and far from content with being passive and sitting in rocking chairs the rest of our lives. Rolf had enjoyed life on board a motorboat he had several years ago so he really welcomed the idea of spending time on the water. However he did feel we were too old to be climbing masts and hanging over the side of a heeling sailing vessel. He asked me what I liked about sailing in particular. I said - the moment when the engine is shut down and the boat glides through the water in silence with just the sound of rippling waves and the wind through my hair.

Why don’t we buy a boat with electric propulsion then? It would be more environmentally friendly and quiet.There must be one that meets our needs somewhere. 

After searching the net we found the Greenline boatyard in Slovenia who produce boats of different sizes and types ( electric, hybrid or diesel.) We decided to buy a hybrid so we would be able to get home even though the sun might give up on us. 

We ordered a 39 ft Greenline hybrid via Greenline Sweden
and I put my sailboat up for sale.


I'm getting too old for this!

Our new boat under construction
at the Greenline boatyard in Slovenia

"Lady Green" moored on the island of Ven.

























Here is a video I filmed about Lady Green's arrival and the first, short maiden voyage in Sweden
Youtube video about Lady Green
to be continued.....

Comments

Popular Posts